What home insurance covers and what it doesn’t

Owning a home is both a joy and a burden. Worrying about everything that could go wrong and damage your home can lead to a lot of stress. Our independent agents at DJ Kauffman Agency in Hutchinson, KS, are here to help reduce that stress by ensuring you have the home insurance coverage you require. 

What home insurance covers


The main structure, attached structures, and structures on your property are covered for various hazards, including fire, theft, and vandalism. 


The things inside your home are covered, but it is essential that you know the type of coverage you have and any limits you have on specific content. 


Being sued is a danger for all homeowners. Liability helps to protect your assets from a legal judgment against you and pays legal expenses. 

Loss of use

If a covered peril damages your home and is not habitable, this coverage will help pay for a place for you to stay until you can come back home. 

What home insurance doesn’t cover


Floods are not covered by traditional home insurance. You need to purchase a separate flood insurance policy. 

Earth movement

Home insurance does not cover earthquakes, mudslides, landslides, and sinkholes. 

Wear and tear

Things like your roof get old. This is not covered by home insurance. If your roof needs to be replaced, it is up to you to replace it unless a covered hazard damages it. 

Owner neglect

You need to do the necessary maintenance on your home, and if it is damaged because you didn’t do it, your home insurance won’t cover it. 

Our team at DJ Kauffman Agency in Hutchinson, KS, is here to offer help and support to homeowners through the right home insurance. Give our office a call today.