What auto insurance is required in Kansas?

Kansas is one of the 12 no-fault states in the United States. In the no-fault states, the auto insurance requirements are often a little bit different than they are in at-fault states. At DJ Kauffman Agency in Hutchinson, KS, we make it our business to stay up to date on all the mandated requirements for insurance. We make sure that our customers also know exactly the type of coverage they need to have. 

Kansas requires that all drivers in the state have liability coverage. The amount you are required to carry is 25/50/25. You must have $25,000 for bodily injury per person with $50,000 per accident and $25,000 in property damage. You must also have an equal amount for uninsured or underinsured coverage. PIP (Personal Injury Protection) is also required. This is all very well, but what about your vehicle?

If you are leasing or if you have an auto loan, you are not going to be able to get away with basic liability insurance. You will need to have insurance coverage for the vehicle. This means collision and comprehensive. Even if you don’t have a loan or a lease, if you count on your vehicle to do your regular activities, it is worth considering having insurance to protect it. 

Collision insurance is just that, insurance that covers the vehicle for damage sustained in a collision. It has a deductible that must be met but then it will pay reasonable costs to repair or replace your vehicle. 

Comprehensive insurance is a little more complicated. It covers things that you can’t control that can damage your vehicle. It also covers theft. If a tree limb falls on your vehicle, you hit a pothole, or flood damages your vehicle, comprehensive coverage will protect you. 

Contact DJ Kauffman Agency in Hutchinson, KS when you are in the market for auto insurance.